If you are looking for a reliable and robust ERP solution for your small or medium-sized business, you might have come across Dynamics NAV Business Central.
These are two products from Microsoft that offer similar functionality but also have some important differences. In this article, we will explain what these differences are and help you decide which one is better suited for your business needs.
What is Dynamics NAV?
Dynamics NAV is an on-premise ERP solution that was launched by Microsoft in 2002.
It was designed to help businesses streamline their back-end processes, such as finance, sales, operations, and customer service.
Dynamics NAV is a customizable and flexible solution that can be tailored to fit the specific needs of different industries and regions.
It has a rich set of features and functionality, such as:
- Financial management
- Sales and marketing
- Fulfillment and delivery
- Purchasing and payables
- Supply planning and availability
- Project management
- Warehouse management
- Service management
Dynamics NAV has been a popular choice for many businesses over the years, especially in Europe.
However, Microsoft discontinued Dynamics NAV in 2018 and replaced it with Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Existing license holders can still use Dynamics NAV, but they will not receive any updates or support from Microsoft.
Dynamics 365 Business Central is a cloud-based ERP solution that was introduced by Microsoft in 2018.
It is essentially an upgraded version of Dynamics NAV that offers the same standard capabilities but with some notable improvements.
Some of the benefits of Dynamics 365 Business Central are:
- It is a cloud-based solution that can be accessed from anywhere and on any device. This means you don’t have to worry about installing, maintaining, or upgrading servers or software.
- It is integrated with other Microsoft products, such as Office 365, Power BI, and Dynamics 365 Sales. This means you can easily share data and collaborate with your team across different applications.
- It is licensed on a per-user basis rather than on a per-server basis. This means you only pay for what you use and can scale up or down as your business needs change.
- It uses a modern and user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and customize. It also uses AL language code, which allows for more flexibility and extensibility than the C/AL code used in Dynamics NAV.
Dynamics 365 Business Central is a comprehensive and cloud-based business management solution that is designed for small to medium-sized businesses.
It has the same features and functionality as Dynamics NAV, plus some additional ones, such as:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities that provide insights and recommendations based on your data.
- Built-in compliance and security features that protect your data and meet industry standards.
- A wide range of third-party apps and extensions enhance the functionality of the system.
The choice between Dynamics NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central depends on your business needs and preferences.
Here are some factors to consider:
- If you already have a Dynamics NAV license and are happy with the system, you can continue to use it until it becomes obsolete or incompatible with your hardware or software. However, you will not receive any updates or support from Microsoft, which could affect the performance and security of the system.
- If you want to take advantage of the latest technology and features from Microsoft, you should switch to Dynamics 365 Business Central. You will benefit from the cloud-based platform, the integration with other Microsoft products, the per-user licensing model, the modern interface, and the AI capabilities. You will also receive regular updates and support from Microsoft.
- If you are new to ERP solutions or looking for a new one, you should choose Dynamics 365 Business Central over Dynamics NAV. You will get more advanced and user-friendly systems that can help you grow your business in the digital age.
To summarize, Dynamics NAV and Dynamics 365 Business Central are two ERP solutions from Microsoft that share many features but also have some key differences.
Dynamics NAV is an on-premise solution that was discontinued in 2018, while Dynamics 365 Business Central is a cloud-based solution that was launched in 2018. Both systems can help you manage your business processes efficiently and effectively, but Dynamics 365 Business Central offers more benefits in terms of accessibility, integration, scalability, customization, innovation, compliance, security, and support.