It is very common that the household water contains iron. The presence of this metal can be seen in the water. It will also have a different smell and taste. If your household water leaves yellowish and reddish spots on whatever it touches, it means that the water contains iron. You will also have to repair the pipes and appliances very often. It will clog in the fixtures and sprinklers. If your tap water is orange-brown in color, it means that it has undissolved ferric Iron present in it. If your water has over 3 to 4 ppm of iron, you will need an iron removal system like a whole house iron filter.
If you are new to this, do not worry and choose the best iron filter keeping these recommendations in mind:
What Type of Iron Filters Do You Need?
In the very first step, you have to decide which type of iron filters are needed in your house. It means that you have to decide which size of filters do you need. You can follow 3 easy steps to decide the size of whole house iron filters.
- The first thing is to make sure what is the flow rate of your house. The flow rate means the absolute amount of water that goes down in the waterline, to your household. This will determine which size of the filter you will need.
- The second step is to get the water tested. It is a very easy step and is often free of cost. When you get the water tested, you will know what is wrong with your water and how you will need to fix it. If the water has 7.5 pH level, you can install a good iron filter.
- The third and last step is to know if your household water contains bacteria or other organic microorganisms. This is not for the harmful bacteria, but for those that grow in your filter.
Types of Iron Filters
There are various types of iron filters.
- The Manganese Greensand Filters are good if your house has a low flow rate. But they are not the best iron filters in the market.
- You can use Birm whole house iron filters if the pH level of water is very high. They acquire an 8.0 or higher pH level.
- The Pyrolox Filter systems are good if you have only one contaminant, which is iron.
- The In-Line iron filters have removable filters to remove rust from the water.
Well Water Iron Filter
The iron filters can remove sulfur, chlorine, and even dirt from the water. If your household water comes from a private well, you have to get the water tested. Well, water has higher chances of iron and copper present in it. The whole house iron filters are best in this case. The ideal iron filter will remove iron and copper which cause discoloration of water. It will also remove the bad odor of the water, along with toxic substances such as arsenic. In this way, your well water will be even tastier.